Tuesday, June 21, 2011

CROATIA

ZAGREB

We arrived in Zagreb after 24 hours of flying. First, we flew to JFK and then to Paris where I excitedly consumed a ham and cheese baguette. My absolute favorite on a fresh french baguette. I would have gotten a Nutella crepe but they didn’t have one. We then flew from Paris to Zagreb which was about a 3 hour flight. Zagreb is the capitol of Croatia and is a charming European city. It is filled with picturesque colorful buildings that surround narrow streets. While there, we stayed at The Regent Esplanade Hotel. It is a historic white marble hotel located in the city center.

It was clean and beautiful. I would highly recommend it! The city center consists of a square that is surrounded by a beautiful flower filled park, restarants, shops and side streets that lead to even more restaurants and shops.  We got Gelato at Vincek Slasticarnica. I got the hazelnut and it was incredibly decedent! The best I have had, which is saying something considering that I am a gelato connoisseur! We then visited the church of St. Mark which had a captivating roof. Colorful ceramic tiles. The Museum of Broken Relationships is located near the church and was awarded the Kenneth Hudson Award in 2011. It is an extremely creative and innovative concept developed around people's failed relationships. I went with my grandmother, aunt and sister. It was 30 Kunas well spent.
The city has a bustling outdoor market filled with fruit, fresh vegetables and hand carved wood trinkets. The majority of the produce sold is grown in Croatia and is therefor fresh and beautiful. The cherries and apricots go unmatched! I also tasted sour cherries for the first time. Since I love sour candy and foods I thought they were delicious.

No comments: